Internship Assignment High Performance Data Storage
SURF is looking for an intern who is enthusiastic about the latest technologies in the field of high performance data storage. Large amounts of data are processed for research. This varies from a few GigaBytes to hundreds of TerraBytes or even PetaBytes per research project.
- Level of education: MBO/HBO
- Location: Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32
- Duration: 20 weeks
About SURF and SURF Research Cloud
SURF is the collaboration organisation for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities offered by digitisation.
SURF Research Cloud is a portal for the efficient construction of virtual research workstations. It deploys preconfigured workspaces and datasets from various cloud providers such as SURF's own HPC Cloud service. Institutions, research communities, and service providers can contribute to the functionality of Research Cloud by integrating computing and storage systems and applications.
The SURF HPC Cloud service is connected to various storage systems. The HPC Cloud infrastructure has recently been renewed. In order to advise researchers properly, benchmarks are needed for the new connections with the various storage systems. In this internship assignment you are expected to make a test plan to benchmark the performance of the different systems. When the test plan is approved you will perform the tests independently with support from the HPC Cloud devops team. The results of the tests will be analysed within the team. After analysis, a recommendation for the use of the storage systems can be written or further research can be done to suggest improvements to the infrastructure.
Your skills and background
- You are curious about emerging technologies; words like blockstorage, filesystems, objectstorage, SSD, HDD, diskcache and webdav are part of your "normal" toolbox, but you are also very comfortable with the "basics" (aka Linux Skills).
- You have experience with a programming or scripting language, such as Python, Bash or Perl, and are familiar with Configuration Management tools and Infrastructure as Code (Ansible, Terraform, etc.).
- You understand and appreciate the complexity of multi-tier IT environments, and have a functional understanding of concepts and definitions such as: Frontend, Backend, Network Topologies, Identity Management, Security Groups, Firewalls, etc.
- You are service-oriented, solution-oriented, and comfortable in a team where we share what we don't know, we ask for help and guidance, we don't hide mistakes, and we work hard to make each other happier and more productive.
- Previous experience with network and disk IO monitoring strongly preferred.
- For MBO and internship fee of €500 for HBO (full time = 40 hours).
- Internship period of 20 weeks.
- Our office is located at Amsterdam Science park which offers public transport at walking distance.
Please send your motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Prior to commencing employment, a VOG is required for this position.