Vacancies (2) Advisor/scientific programmer artificial intelligence
Do you want to work in a challenging and innovative environment? Would you like to contribute to new developments in artificial intelligence, particularity in the field of machine learning? If so, we welcome you to join the SURF team.
We are currently looking for two advisors / scientific programmers who will develop machine learning tools, participate in (international) projects and support our user community.
- Educational background: academic
- Location: Amsterdam
- Employment: 32-40 hours
- Closing date: 7 February 2021
About SURF and Research Services
SURF supports research and education through innovation and service development, by leveraging its expertise in High Performance Computing, Data Processing and Data Services.
Within SURF, the department Research Services is responsible for the national supercomputer Cartesius and the national compute cluster Lisa. Cartesius currently has 50,000 CPU cores and 132 GPUs, with a total peak performance of 1.8 Pflop/s. Lisa currently consists of almost 8,000 CPU cores and 104 GPUs. The main users of the National HPC infrastructure are researchers at Dutch Universities and (international) research institutes.
What does the position entail?
Besides managing the HPC infrastructure, the research services department is also participating in a number of national and international projects in the field of artificial intelligence. We generally focus on scaling and optimizing machine learning workloads on current and future hardware, (co)developing new algorithms with our partners and members, educating and supporting the community at large. Our involvement in European consortia consists of enabling academia and private parties to benefit from our computing and data infrastructures, as well as researching new data driven methods for large scale analysis. Additionally, we are actively disseminating our acquired expertise to the scientific community. This usually involves participating in courses, webinars, and public talks.
As an advisor/scientific programmer at SURF, you will be part of the department’s operational team. You will support the development of machine learning workflows through High Performance Computing, i.e. performance optimization, scaling and algorithmic development. You will be part of a multicultural team collaborating with the (research) community to develop a set of services around artificial intelligence solutions.
What will you be doing exactly?
- Interacting with academic, public and private stakeholders in order to support and conduct research, as well as co-develop and benchmark software on large scale and specialised compute and data infrastructures;
- participating in national and international projects in various scientific fields, e.g. medicine, chemistry, systems;
- an outreach component that could involve developing course materials or teaching courses, webinars, organizing hackathons, disseminating scientific and engineering results, releasing public code;
- keeping up-to-date with relevant information in the fields of machine learning and HPC.
What we are looking for
Your skills include the ability to apply your in-depth knowledge of the machine learning principles, and your hands-on experience for practical problem solving. You enjoy working in an independent manner and have the ability to work in a team. You have excellent interpersonal and communicative skills and a good spoken and written command of English and/or Dutch. You’re analytically strong, pro-active and recognize yourself in the following:
- An academic level of thinking and working: (MSc/PhD level) in artificial intelligence, computer science, mathematics or other related fields. This can be equivalated by professional experience;
- Scientific and/or practical background in machine learning. Deep learning knowledge is an advantage;
- Strong interest in the application of artificial intelligence to solve real problems.
- Knowledge about parallel computer architectures and programming languages (e.g. MPI);
- Programming experience (at least C/C++/Java and/or Python);
- UNIX/Linux knowledge;
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting, Perl);
- Knowledge of (GP)GPU programming, CUDA and/or OpenCL and/or PGAS languages is preferred.
What we offer
A diversified and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high ambition level. SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits, including 36 holidays and a 1st class NS business card. This position has a salary range of € 3.535, - to € 5.802, - gross based on a full-time appointment. Our office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. The appointment is initially on the basis of a one-year contract, with the prospect of a permanent employment in the event of good performance and unaltered business conditions.
Please send your motivation and CV by 7 February 2021 to email@example.com for the attention of Damian Podareanu.
An assessment may be part of the application procedure. You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment. Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.