Vacancy Adviser Cloud Technology
We are looking for an adviser who is enthusiastic about the latest technologies in the field of cloud computing and big data. You will work in a dynamic environment, connecting science, ICT and the general public.
What does this position entail?
You will be part of the Scalable Data Analytics Team that provides innovative services for large scale data analytics for academic research and education. As an adviser you have a keen eye for the needs of (potential) users of the SURFsara portfolio and you are capable of producing requirement analyses and technical solutions.
SURFsara hosts compute and data infrastructure but increasingly also uses services of public cloud providers. Your goal is to further enhance the knowledge and technical ability of the team regarding public cloud technology.
What will you do?
- You will build up in-depth knowledge of both SURFsara’s and public services and will actively look at where and how connections can be made.
- You will initiate and implement pilot projects with interested users. Possible pilot projects are:
- Setting up and evaluating a data science platform on Azure, GCE or AWS
- Setting up and evaluating Kubeflow or similar platform
- You maintain relations with users and user communities
- You contribute in the requirements analysis of the Research Cloud project, set up project plans and assist in the realization of these plans
- You proactively contribute your ideas regarding innovation and service development.
What we are looking for
- You have a Master degree in computer science or a similar discipline
- You are familiar with services of large public providers like AWS, GCE and Azure
- You have (some) knowledge of cloud architectures
- You are familiar with programming languages like Python, Node JS or GoLang
- You have a keen and demonstrable interest in new cloud technology
- You know how to promote and present your knowledge and like to share this with your colleagues and users
- You are capable to notice the need for improvements and innovations and to realize them in practice
- You are able to bridge the gap between user requirements and technical possibilities
- You have at least some knowledge of Big Data technology like Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce
- You know your way around Linux and the CLI
- You are not afraid to do more than one thing at a time
- You are interested in science without the need to pursue a scientific career
- You like to learn new things
What we offer
- A diverse environment with many nationalities (working language mostly English)
- Great opportunities to find technical challenges
- Freedom to experiment with new technologies like Kubernetes, Jupyter, Docker, Kafka etc.
- An open environment where contact with (potential) users is cherished
- An environment that welcomes initiative
- Open and dedicated colleagues who are interested in new technology
Terms of employment:
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10-12 (maximum of € 5.656,- gross a month based on a 38-hour workweek)
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week), if you chose to work a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometers one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially the contract will be for one year, with the intension to extend to an indefinite contract
Send your motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ – Senior Recruiter (020-8001300)