Vacancy Cloud & Distributed Computing Adviser/Project Leader
We are looking for an adviser/project leader who is enthusiastic about the latest cloud computing technology, distributed computing and Big Data.
What does the position entail?
You will be part of the Scalable Data Analytics team, working as an adviser on innovative service provision for scalable data analyses for research and education, and lead projects. Interesting work in a dynamic working environment where the connection between science, ICT and society takes centre stage. As an adviser you will have a good eye for where (potential) users need SURFsara services and you will be familiar with cloud computing, distributed computing and the latest Big Data technology. You are good at communicating your knowledge and presenting it both to your colleagues and to external relations and users. You are able to spot opportunities for improvement or innovation and take practical steps to achieve them. You can lead projects and quickly define questions. You are skilled at bridging the gap between what users want and the technical options available.
What will you do exactly?
- You will set up and lead projects both within SURFsara and with universities and research and education institutions
- You will give workshops and courses relating to SURFsara services
- You will maintain relationships with users and user groups
- You will think proactively about innovation and service development
- You will work alongside other advisers to execute solutions and proofs of concept
- You will proactively support SURFsara data analysis service users
What we want
- You have a Master's in computing or comparable technical training
- You have experience in translating functional requirements into technical implementation
- You are familiar with Big Data technology (Hadoop, Apache Spark)
- You are comfortable using Unix/Linus and the command line
- You know several programming languages
- You have good communication skills
- You are confident in doing several tasks at once
- You are passionate about science, but are not a scientist yourself
- You are a keen learner
What we offer
- A varied working environment with many nationalities (working language English or Dutch)
- Significant scope for tackling technical challenges
- Freedom to experiment and innovate with new technologies such as Kubernetes, Jupyter, Docker, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, Spark, cloud computing, etc.
- An open environment where contact with (potential) users is key
- An environment that values personal initiative
- Open and committed colleagues with a strong interest in new technology
Terms of employment:
- Pay grade dependent on experience in VSNU scale 10/11/12 (maximum €5,330 gross per month for a 38-hour working week)
- 8.3% year-end bonus and 29 holiday days per year (based on 38-hour working week)
- For a 40-hour working week, the number of holiday days will increase by 12, to a total of 41 days, due to the extra two working hours per week.
- Reimbursement for commutes of up to 45 kilometres one-way
- ABP pension under which approximately two-thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- One-year contract initially, becoming permanent with good performance
Send a cover letter and CV for the attention of Machiel Jansen to sollicitaties[at]surfsara.nl. The deadline for applications is 18 March.
For more information about the position, please contact Machiel Jansen
- For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact Ans Sullot
- They can both be reached on +31 (0)20 800 13 00 or at sollicitaties[at]surfsara.nl
- More about working at SURFsara
- Colleagues on working at SURF
Candidates should be able to submit a certificate of good conduct (VOG) within the first month of employment.
Recruitment agencies should not respond to this vacancy.