Vacancy Visualisation specialist
The SURFsara visualisation team is looking for a (senior) consultant who has strong technical skills, as well as good communication skills. You will help us to support scientific research in The Netherlands.
What does this position entail?
The visualisation group supports users of the Dutch National e-Infrastructure, and the SURF community as a whole, in performing visualisation tasks. Examples are the 3D visualisation of large simulations that have been computed on the Dutch National Supercomputer Cartesius, the development of a web-based visualisation tool, or providing support to users that perform their own visualisation tasks through our helpdesk. We keep track of new developments in the field of (scientific) visualisation by evaluating and applying technologies like augmented and virtual reality.
The consultant we are looking for contributes to the projects and services of the visualization group, by performing versatile and technically challenging work. Apart from this you like telling the world about your work, for example in a presentation or blog post, or by realising a (technology) demonstration.
What will you do?
- Supporting researchers and users of the SURF e-infrastructure in optimally visualising complex datasets
- Realising scientific visualisation projects
- Networking and making connections with (potential) users and (scientific) institutions
- Further development of our visualisation services
- Contributing to PR and demonstration activities of SURFsara and SURF
- Teaching courses on visualisations topics
What we are looking for
- You have completed a Master's degree in a data-intensive or computational field, such as computer science
- You have an academic level of thinking and working, plus relevant experience in the field of (scientific) visualisation
- You have affinity with interactive 2D/3D visualisation and the realisation of solutions for this
- Experience with visualisation software that is often used in the field is an advantage. Examples are ParaView, VTK, Cesium, D3.js, Three.js, Jupyter Notebook, Matplotlib, Blender, Unity
- Experience in working with Linux is preferred
- Apart from your technical skills you also have good communication skills, both written and oral
- You can work independently, but also function very well in a team
- You focus on solutions in handling complex problems
- You are proficient in English and/or Dutch in both written and oral forms.
What we offer
A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
- You will be appointed a full-time position, our contracts are based on 38 hours
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10-12 (maximum of €5.656,- gross monthly salary based on a full-time contract of 38 hours)
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week), if you chose to work a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately 2/3 of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially the contract will be for 1 year, with the intention to extend to an indefinite contract.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ (senior recruiter): 020-8001300 or email@example.com
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Read more about our Visualisation services
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.