Vacancy EUDAT Adviser
In the Data Services group, you will work closely with other technical groups and disciplines both within and outside of SURFsara. As an adviser, your work will mainly be focused on successfully implementing the EUDAT project.
What does the position entail?
EUDAT is a European collaborative project seeking to tackle issues related to storing and managing research data. EUDAT is working on a sustainable strategy and developing services to store, share, analyse and retain data, and make it secure to access. SURFsara has been contributing to the project for a number of years.
In your role as adviser, you will spend around 90% of your time on EUDAT activities. Around 10% of your time will be spent on regular helpdesk tasks for the SURFsara data archive.
What will you do exactly?
- You will work as a (technical) consultant alongside EUDAT users and communities in the field of data management, data management concepts, metadata, persistent identifiers and other EUDAT services.
- You will try to bring community services together with EUDAT CDI infrastructure and services.
- You will work on developing and optimising EUDAT tools and systems user documentation, and develop hands-on training environments.
- You will deliver training sessions (in English).
- Your workplace will be with SURFsara in Amsterdam. Discussions with EUDAT partners and communities will partly be done via Skype. You will also regularly travel to attend EUDAT meetings across Europe.
- As the point of contact for SURFsara system clients (researchers), you will understand their questions and needs, and will be able to help them use our system.
- You will ensure effective communication between EUDAT partners and various teams within SURFsara.
- You will deepen and develop your knowledge of other topics in the Data Services unit and perform everyday helpdesk tasks which are part of the Data Services Adviser role.
What we want
- You have a degree in Computer Science or a related subject
- Perfect communication skills, ability to cope with deadlines and multitasking
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Knowledge and/or experience in project management
- Knowledge and/or experience in data management. Knowledge of using PIDs is an advantage.
- Experience in delivering training sessions
- You can translate our users' requests into requirements for technical implementation
- You must have experience with Python and programming in C. You also have knowledge of programming in a Linux environment (CPerl, PHP, Java)
- You are familiar with scientific workflows, data processing algorithms and data structures
- You are confident in presenting your work at conferences and on technical blogs, or you have written books and/or papers.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with passionate professionals in innovative teams
- The opportunity to travel for national and international conferences
- The opportunity to contribute to and work with research data management challenges in an international environment.
Terms of employment:
- Pay grade dependent on experience in VSNU scale 10/11 (maximum €4,691 gross per month for a 38-hour working week)
- 8.3% year-end bonus and 29 days' annual leave (based on 38-hour working week)
- For a 40-hour working week, the amount of annual leave will increase by 12, to a total of 41 days, due to the extra two working hours per week
- Reimbursement for commutes of up to 45 kilometres one-way
- ABP pension under which approximately two-thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- One-year contract initially, becoming permanent following satisfactory performance.
Please send your cover letter and CV to sollicitaties[at]surfsara.nl, with the subject line: EUDAT adviser DMS. The deadline for applications is 30 April 2017.
- For more information about the position, please contact ingeborg.verheul[at]surfsara.nl
- For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact the HR department on +31 (0)20 800 1300
- More information about EUDAT
- Read more about working at SURFsara
- Colleagues on working at SURF
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.