Vacancy Junior DevOps engineer
Do you want to develop your skills, create cool new things, and embrace emerging technologies to enable world class scientific research? We are seeking a junior DevOps engineer to strengthen our Infrastructure-as-Code team.
|academic/vocational level||Amsterdam||38-40 hrs|
The team consists of engineers who build, scale and maintain our cloud-based infrastructure, thereby ensuring a dynamic operating environment for other teams to deploy high-performance platforms for our scientific communities. Our users work with petabytes of data that need to be processed in tailored analysis environments deployed on our high-throughput data processing cloud. This is a great opportunity if you recently finished your education and want to make big steps in technology. Just convince us that you are the right person to join us on the cutting edge!
What does the position entail?
We seek to strengthen our team with a DevOps engineer. You will start on continuous development and operations of our OpenStack infrastructure, aiming to optimize the environment in terms of usability, stability, security and service management. You will also get opportunities to apply your growing engineering skills within the user-oriented services running on top of this cloud-infrastructure.
To ensure a stable but highly flexible infrastructure, the IaC team aims to document as little as possible, to automate and codify everything, and continuously test, integrate and deploy our modular infrastructure code under strict version control. This approach ensures an exciting style of working on short-term challenges, leading to immediate results and satisfaction.
Our mission is to make the world a better place, contributing to scientific progress and discovery. We do this by understanding the scientist’s problem and working together to overcome their challenges, either by the application of generic solutions (platforms and services) suitable for commonly occurring data-processing scenarios or co-developing specific solutions tailored for unique science cases.
We are looking for talented people with a solid understanding of basic Linux and network technology, scripting languages and software development. Previous work experience is of lesser importance than a drive to develop skills, embrace emerging technologies and to create cool new things.
We offer an inspiring working environment, an open atmosphere of helpful colleagues, and working with exciting new technologies to enable world class scientific research. We live on the cutting edge of infrastructure technology but we don’t like waiting to bring it on! Will you join us?
What are we looking for?
- A solid basis in technical and communication skills
- A good understanding of Linux Operating Systems
- Interest in or experience with DevOps
- Interest in or experience with OpenStack technology
- Interest in or experience with networking technologies like routing, VLAN, VXLAN, NAT
- Interest in or experience with storage technologies (preferably CEPH, SWIFT)
- Interest in or experience with automation tools and methodologies (Ansible, Git)
- Interest in or experience with operational IT Service Management is an advantage
- The ability to focus on the customer, without losing sight of general service performance and stability
- Comfortable with working in a team, taking initiative and ownership of projects and tasks
- Good spoken and written command of Dutch and/or English
What we offer
A diverse and relaxed work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
- You will be appointed a full-time position, our contracts are based on 38 hours
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 8 (€2.514 – €3.358)
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week)
- When working a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometers one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially, the contract will be for a period of 1 year. We intend to follow-up with a permanent contract.
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com.
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ (senior recruiter): +31-20-8001300
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.