Vacancy Junior Linux system administrator
For the HPC Cloud team, we are looking for a talented systems management starter who wants to offer our users in education and research the best possible performance and who will contribute to the development of new platforms. Interesting work in a dynamic work environment where the link between science, ICT and society is central.
|academic/vocational level||Amsterdam||38-40 hrs|
What does the position entail?
One of our Infrastructure-as-a-Service services is the HPC Cloud. We work with Opennebula, Ceph, Prometheus, Ansible, Openvswitch, MySQL and many other tools to offer a cloud platform to our customers. Your activities will consist of managing, monitoring and maintaining the HPC Cloud, resolving incidents, resulting in optimal operation and maximum availability of the system.
You are focussing on new techniques that will improve the service and you have a coordinating role in the implementation of new management concepts and tools. We expect you to take ownership and have a proactive attitude.
What will you be doing exactly?
- You work on managing our system
- You design and make improvements through infrastructure automation with tools such as Ansible, Git and Packer
- You are a proactive thinker and you bring the security of the platform to the highest level
- You take ownership
- You provide second-line support to clients in specialist system areas
- You install custom hardware and software solutions and products
- You test new hardware and software solutions
- You develop procedures for carrying out various activities and you document these procedures
- You are knowledgeable in ITIL v3 or you are FitSM certified or you have experience with either of these
What we are looking for
- You have recently graduated and have a Bachelor or Master in a technical field
- During your studies or internships you have gained experience with the management of Linux (Red Hat and Debian)
- You are ambitious to work in computer hardware, computer architecture and systems design
- You have knowledge of computer networks, cloud computing and network protocols
- Where appropriate, knowledge and experience with DBMS (Postgres and MySQL)
- Thorough knowledge of, and experience with scripting languages (Bash, Python) and configuration systems (Ansible)
- You are curious about emerging technologies
- You are a team player and have good communication skills
What we offer
- A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English or Dutch)
- Much opportunity to engage in technical challenges
- Freedom to experiment and innovate with new technologies such as Docker and various cloud computing technologies
- An open environment where contact with (potential) users is important
- Open and involved colleagues who have a lot of interest in new technology
- Salary ranking in the VSNU-scale level 8/9 depending on your level of education and your experience. A minimum of EUR 2.465,- with a possible expansion to scale 9, a maximum of EUR 3722,- per month, based on a 38-hour work week.
- 8% holiday pay, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week)
- When working a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially, the contract will be for a period of 1 year
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com
- For more information about the position, please contact Niek Bosch (020-8001300).
- For more information about the application procedure, please contact the HR department (+3120-8001300)
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees talk about working at SURF
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.