Software engineer - Back-end developer
Do you want to work in the field of software development and system integration and help connect domestic and international scientific communities? Do you want to help to build and implement solutions to make (big) data manageable, accessible and shareable? Do you want to help make research future-proof using ICT? Then we have the job for you.
What does the position entail?
We are looking for a talented backend developer for the Data Management Services department who has experience and contacts and who will strengthen our growing team. This is your chance to work on and specialize in the development and realization of (research) data management solutions for a wide range of scientific communities. You will also collaborate with colleagues to develop software and (web) portals to enable various communities to access the services on our high performance computing and data infrastructure.
Our enthusiasm for our customers (scientists, students and scientific institutions) and their research is what drives us. We love to work with and for others. We believe that our organization can only grow if IT professionals work in close-knit teams that are strongly allied with our research communities. We see (research) data management as an interesting challenge and are excited to work in this field alongside the scientific community.
What will you do exactly?
- Develop high-quality software and design the software architecture
- Identify, prioritise and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Produce clean and efficient code
- Review and debug code
- Collaborate with internal teams to improve software products
- Document code
- Ensure software runs stably and performs well
What we want
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Msc in Computer Science or equivalent
- Track record of delivering backend software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems.
- Proficiency in C/C++ and Python
- Proficiency in working with Linux systems
- Willingness to learn a new programming paradigm
- Experience with versioning tools, performance benchmarking and diagnostic tools
- Experience with high-throughput and high-data volume systems
- Team player with excellent communication skills in Dutch and English
You will have an edge if you have
- Experience in distributed systems design and architecture
- Knowledge of data management tools such as iRODS, OwnCloud, Cassandra, Postgres, MySQL, Kafka and Zookeeper
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience with TDD or similar
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with passionate professionals in innovative teams
- The opportunity to participate in national and international conferences
- An initial 1-year contract.This is a full-time position. The working week is 38 hours.
- The salary is based on the university CLA (VSNU) pay scale, levels 10/12, and is dependent on your level of education and experience: from €2,588 to a maximum of €5,405 gross per month for a full-time position (38 hours)
- 8% holiday pay, fixed year-end bonus of 8.3%, 29 holiday days per year (for a full-time position). If you work two hours extra per week (40-hour working week), you will be entitled to 12 extra holidays.
- Reimbursement for commutes of up to 45 kilometres (one-way)
- ABP pension (pension fund for the public sector and education).
Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, for the attention of Mark Huys.
- For more information about this position, please contact Mark Huys on 020-8001300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact HR, 020-8001300 or email@example.com.
- Read more about working at SURFsara
- Colleagues on working at SURF
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.