Vacancy (sr.) adviser/scientific programmer artificial intelligence
Do you want to work in a challenging and innovative environment? Would you like to contribute to new developments in artificial intelligence, particularity in the field of machine learning? If so, we welcome you to join the SURFsara team.
|MSc/PhD level||Amsterdam||32-40 hrs|
About SURFsara and Compute Services
SURFsara supports research and education through innovation and service development, by leveraging its expertise in high performance computing, data processing and data services.
Within SURFsara the department Compute Services is responsible for the national supercomputer Cartesius and the national compute cluster Lisa. Cartesius currently has 50,000 CPU cores and 132 GPUs, with a total peak performance of 1.8 Pflop/s. Lisa currently consists of almost 8,000 CPU cores and 104 GPUs. The main users of the National HPC infrastructure are researchers at Dutch Universities and (international) research institutes.
What does the position entail?
Besides managing the HPC infrastructure the compute services department is also participating in a number national and international projects in the field of artificial intelligence. As an example, we are currently involved in a multiyear collaboration with Intel, under their Intel Parallel Computing Center program. Among other things, the project involves scaling and optimizing machine learning workloads on current and future Intel products. Recently, we started collaborating with a European consortium on applying data driven methods to large scale healthcare data. Additionally, we are actively disseminating our acquired expertise to the scientific community. This usually involves participating in courses, webinars, and public talks.
As an adviser/scientific programmer at SURFsara you will be part of the department’s operational team. You will support the development of machine learning workflows through high performance computing, i.e. performance optimization, scaling and algorithmic development. You will be part of a multicultural team collaborating with the (research) community to develop a set of services around artificial intelligence solutions. Finally, you will also contribute to HPC user support in general.
What we are looking for
Your skills include the ability to apply your in-depth knowledge of the machine learning principles, and your hands-on experience for practical problem solving. You enjoy working in an independent manner and have the ability to work in a team. You have excellent interpersonal and communicative skills and a good spoken and written command of English and/or Dutch. You’re analytically strong, pro-active and recognize yourself in the following qualities:
- An academic level of thinking and working: (MSc/PhD level) in artificial intelligence, computer science, mathematics or other related fields. This can be equivalated by professional experience.
- Scientific and/or practical background in machine learning. Deep learning knowledge is an advantage.
- Strong interest in the application of artificial intelligence to solve real problems
- Knowledge about parallel computer architectures
- Parallel programming experience (MPI at the minimum, preferably also OpenMP)
- Programming experience (C/C++ and/or Python at the minimum)
- UNIX/Linux knowledge
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting, Perl)
- Knowledge of (GP)GPU programming, CUDA and/or OpenCL and/or PGAS languages is preferred.
What we offer
- A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
- You will be appointed a full-time position, our contracts are based on 38-hours
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10/11 for consultants/advisors (€ 2.640 – €4.852), 11/12 for senior consultants/advisors (€3.545 – €5.513)
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week), if you chose to work a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially, the contract will be for a period of 1 year with the intention for an indefinite extension.
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com.
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ – Senior Recruiter (020-8001300)
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.