Vacancy Technical Consultant for Data Processing Services
Are you someone who likes to work with state-of-the-art computing as well as with people? Does a job around innovative technologies and developing new services sound exciting to you? Would it make you feel good to really make a difference to scientists and their research?
Our team provides and develops data processing solutions for scientific projects that are faced with a wide range of data-processing challenges. Some of them struggle with petabytes of structured data that need to be transferred, stored and processed within short time-frames, requiring efficient parallel processing workflows tailored for their specific problem. Other projects may have additional requirements, such as data sharing and distribution, privacy, advanced data enrichment, post-processing of their datasets, or other possible aspects that each require their own specific solutions.
Within our multi-disciplinary team we work closely together to provide state-of-the-art services and solutions, enhancing the efficiency and impact of our scientific users.
What does the position entail?
We are looking for a talented Technical Consultant / Service Engineer to strengthen our team. You will provide support to a variety of user projects that make use of our data-processing facilities. Apart from that you will be one of the driving forces within a small team that is involved with the development and administration of our current and future services, aimed to best serve our users now and in the future, taking into account aspects of efficiency and service requirements, as well as changes of the world around us.
What will you do exactly?
- Provide consultancy and support to users of our data-processing services;
- Match requirements of potential users to best-fit solutions;
- Build sustainable services to enable long-term use of existing community applications;
- Design, maintain and execute service management processes;
- Coordinate operations and support teams;
- Represent our services effectively towards relevant user communities as well as within SURFsara.
What we want
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Has great interpersonal skills
- Is a self-proficient team player
- Has a customer-oriented mindset
- Has worked in an academic environment
- Has experience with scientific data processing technologies
- Has a background in UNIX/Linux systems
- Has experience with scripting (e.g. *sh, perl) and programming (e.g. Python, Java, C, Fortran)
- Has experience with HPC or HTC systems such as Cluster, Grid or Cloud computing
- Is fluent in English, strong verbal/written communication skills
You will have an edge if
- You have experience with distributed and/or federated infrastructures;
- You have experience with Cloud technology, preferably OpenStack;
- You have experience with working in European projects;
- You hold an MSc or higher degree in Computer Science or Engineering field;
- You have an understanding of filesystems and scalable storage backends such as dCache, SWIFT;
- You have experience or interest in IT service design, development and support;
- You have the ability to communicate your ideas and work in a clear and accessible way.
What we offer
- Work with passionate professionals in smart teams;
- Contribute to great science;
- Opportunities to travel for national and international meetings;
- The appointment will be initially for one year;
- You will be appointed in a full-time position. The working week is 38 hrs;
- Salary is according the university regulations (VSNU) scale range 10/11 and will depend on the level of education and experience of the candidate: from € 2.588,- up to a maximum of € 4.757,- per month gross, based on full-time employment;
- 8% holiday allowance, fixed 8.3% year-end-bonus. Holiday entitlement is 29 days a year (full-time basis). If you are working an additional 2 hours per week (40-hour working week) the holiday entitlement can be increased by 12 days;
- Commuting allowance up to a maximum of 45 kilometers (one-way distance);
- ABP pension (the Dutch public and education sector pension fund).
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, for the attention of Coen Schrijvers.
- For more information about this position, please contact Coen Schrijvers on 020-8001300;
- For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact Mirjam Warnik , HR, 020-8001300 or email@example.com;
- Read more about working at SURFsara;
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.