Vacancy Contract Counsel
Are you a legal expert who wants to contribute to innovative ICT services for education and research in the Netherlands? Then be sure to read on, because SURF is looking for a legal expert with diverse experience and expertise within the ICT sector.
About SURF and the Quality, Procurement & Legal (KI&J) team
SURF is the collaborative organization for ICT for Dutch higher education and research. SURF works with more than 100 educational and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation, in order to make the best use of the opportunities offered by digitization and to enable better and more flexible teaching and research for more than one million users.
The KI&J team consists of privacy and security officers, procurement consultants, and counsels. On the basis of the applicable legislation and regulations, the team establishes the frameworks and guidelines within which the SURF organization operates internally and externally. The team also monitors compliance with these frameworks and guidelines. Additionally, the team supports and advises the organization.
Various counsels are currently working within the KI&J team, including a number of temporarily hired colleagues. Given the context of SURF as an ICT service provider, all the counsels are expected to have a strong basis in ICT contract law. In addition, each legal expert has his or her own focus in terms of work, based on his or her knowledge and experience. For some of the counsels, (ICT) contract law is the primary focus, while others specialize in privacy or procurement law. Since there is a structural need for extra capacity, the team of permanent counsels is being expanded.
We are looking for a contract counsel with a strong affinity for procurement law.
What does the job entail and what will you be doing?
As stated above, SURF is looking for a counsel with a focus on ICT contract law to strengthen the KI&J team Your responsibilities include ICT agreements with suppliers, service agreements, pilot agreements with our customers and cooperation and project agreements with partners. Our team of counsels can also deal with other legal issues relating to business, for which knowledge of business law is a definite advantage.
For many procurement projects, SURF, as a contracting authority, has to go through a tendering process. In addition to other work, this counsel will also advise on and assist with determining the appropriate tendering procedures. The work also includes drawing up agreements and other tender documents and complying with tender legislation when going through the tender procedure.
As a legal expert at SURF, you will have a varied role. You will provide legal advice and support to colleagues in order to achieve SURF's underlying objectives. You will be actively collaborating with a range of colleagues in both the KI&J team and other departments. Pragmatism is desirable. You should not only tell people what is not allowed, but also help them think about what is possible within the established frameworks and guidelines. Of course, you will keep abreast of developments in relevant legislation and case law. As SURF has only recently become one single organization (rather than three separate operating companies) and integration is still in full swing, you will also be working with other colleagues in the KI&J team on the templates, guides and process descriptions that are needed.
What we Ask
- a completed academic law master’s degree;
- at least five years of relevant work experience;
- extensive working experience as a contract counsel within the ICT sector;
- above-average experience with procurement law;
- at least basic knowledge and experience of privacy law;
- are independent and flexible
- an excellent mastery of the Dutch and English languages.
What we offer
If you choose SURF, you choose:
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours per week (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- A salary of €3,535 to €5,802 gross per month (based on a full-time appointment for 40 hours a week), depending on the final job level to which you will be allocated on the basis of your knowledge and experience;
- Excellent fringe benefits, including 36 vacation days (based on a 40-hour week), a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33% and a 1st class NS business card;
- extensive training opportunities;
- An office at a prime location, less than 10 minutes' walk from Utrecht Central Station;
- An appointment based on a one-year contract, which SURF intends to convert into a permanent contract.
For more information on the content of the position, please contact the team leader: Lex Sietses, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 06-52063936.
Please send your motivation and CV to email@example.com attn Lex Sietses. A case study or assessment may be part of the application procedure. Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.