Vacancy DevOps engineer/Scientific programmer, for Data Management Services
Are you a developer with an interest in the Ops side of DevOps? Do you want to contribute to the operationalisation of software components, from wild conceptual ideas to deployed stable environments? Do you want to use these skills to support national and international scientific communities and make scientific research future-proof?
- Level of education: Technical institute/University
- Location: Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date: 1 July 2021
About SURF and the team Data Management Services
SURF is the collaborative organisation for ICT for Dutch education and research. SURF works together with educational and research institutions and communities to develop ground-breaking ICT innovations.
Our Data Management Services group is an energetic cross-functional team that is specialized in Research Data Management (RDM). We develop services that help researchers to safely store, analyse and share their research data according to the FAIR principles, and in support of Open Science.: the cooperative association of Dutch educational and research institutions.
We work in close collaboration with SURF members (i.e.: scientists, students and scientific institutions) to co-create vital IT services. Supporting their research is what drives us. The team is based in Amsterdam.
What does the job entail?
As a developer, you will work together with colleagues to develop and further operationalize new Research Data Management software. You will also work on integrations with SURF’s high-performance computing and data infrastructure. All in order to evolve our Research Data Management services to cater to SURF members’ needs.
What are you going to do exactly?
- Develop, maintain and improve Research Data Management applications and services;
- Focused on iRODS and YODA;
- Integrating with other compute services such as Research Cloud;
- Assist developing the Ops side of things;
- Automating deployments;
- Implementing CI/CD pipelines;
- Support the team to innovatively integrate technologies;
- From pilot software to production;
- Connecting to the broader data landscape;
- Attaching to high-performance computing services.
- An academic level of thinking and working in Software Engineering. This can be equated to professional experience;
- A versed developer to extend and improve our Research Data Management services;
- 5+ years development (and preferably some ops) experience in Unix / Linux environments;
- Required experience: C++; Python; Docker; Configuration Management (using tools like SaltStack, Ansible, Terraform);
- Preferably knowledge of: iRODS; GitLab CI/CD; usage of Kubernetes; AWS services (S3, EKS, EC2…); LDAP; Monitoring and Logging practices;
- Not required, but would be a plus: OAuth2; OpenID Connect; OpenStack;
- Willingness to learn new technologies as needed;
- Fluency in English, both speaking and writing skills.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of € 4.061 to € 5.802 gross on a full-time basis;
- 8.33% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%
- 36 holiday days per year (on the basis of a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1 class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby.
- The appointment is initially on the basis of a one-year contract, with the prospect of permanent employment in the event of good performance and unaltered business conditions.
Send your motivation and resumé by 1 July 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Ander Astudillo.
Prior to commencement of employment, a VOG must be presented for this position. Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.