Vacancy Expert HPC Applications
Do you have knowledge of the national and international High Performance Computing (HPC) landscape? Are you familiar with scientific computing workflows, application performance, CPUs, GPUs, novel accelerators & application of AI techniques?
- Level of education: WO/WO+
- Work location: Utrecht and Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32-40
About SURF and High Performance Computing
SURF is the collaboration organisation for ICT for Dutch higher education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation in order to make the most of the opportunities offered by digitisation.
You will be working in the Innovation Core Team, which focuses on applications and technology in the field of High Performance Computing, Data processing & AI. One of our focus areas is the application of new technologies and methods in the field of High Performance Computing so that users of SURF's infrastructure (which includes the national supercomputer) continue to have access to the best infrastructure and so that their scientific computing applications can continue to make efficient use of new technologies and methods. In doing so, we are contributing to the aim of facilitating top-level Dutch research in the world with top facilities and relevant expertise.
What does the job entail?
As an Expert on HPC, you will work at an academic level with SURF colleagues, research communities, and users within the Dutch universities and knowledge institutions. You will also work in relevant international bodies and partnerships. With your knowledge of scientific computing applications in the Netherlands, you will help shape and contribute to future roadmaps towards 'next level' application performance. You will help clarify what is needed to develop lasting growth in application performance. You do that with knowledge of (new) High Performance Computing technologies (CPU and GPU architectures, accelerated computing) and methodologies (parallelisation, application of artificial intelligence and in the future quantum computing). You keep track of international developments, both technological and political.
What are you going to do exactly?
Your tasks will include at least:
- Acquiring and maintaining knowledge & insights of global developments in computing applications in important scientific domains, and possible roadmaps towards petascale/exascale/post-exascale performance;
- Translating this knowledge into the Dutch scientific application landscape and roadmaps for it;
- Development of application roadmaps, together with end-users and communities;
- Setting up relevant projects and experiments for assessment of new technologies and methods for enhanced application performance;
- Organising a scientific computing community, focusing on process and content;
- WO/WO+ work and thinking level;
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience;
- In-depth knowledge of the national and international HPC landscape;
- In-depth knowledge of current technology and applications, partly gained through hands-on experience on large (super)computer systems;
- Access to a broad national and international network of HPC experts and users;
- Experience with translating (future) user requirements and technological developments into long-term roadmaps and policy documents;
- Experience with participation in relevant international bodies and/or advisory groups;
- Good communication skills (oral and written);
- Experience in setting up workshops and constituency consultations;
- Up-to-date hands-on programming experience using large computer systems is a plus.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours per week (0.8 - 1.0 fte) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- This vacancy has a salary range from €4.899 tot €6.998 gross based on full-time employment;
- Extensive training possibilities and excellent secondary employment conditions;
- 8.33% holiday allowance and a fixed end-of-year bonus of 8.33%.
- 36 holiday days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Businesscard 1st class.
- The SURF office in Utrecht is located at walking distance from Utrecht CS; the SURF office in Amsterdam is located at the Amsterdam Science Park.
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent position after one year.
Please send your motivation and CV to email@example.com.
Prior to commencing employment, a VOG must be produced for this position.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- For more information about the content of this vacancy you can contact Axel Berg and/or Peter Michielse.
- For more information about the application procedure please contact Romanda Lebbink