Vacancy Projectmanager Network Operations
Are you an experienced project manager with a passion for networking? Do you enjoy being in charge of implementing new services or processes? Do you enjoy working with technical specialists and product managers to organize the best service for your customers?
Perhaps you are the project manager we are looking for!
- Level of education: wo/hbo, with at least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Location: Utrecht
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date: 24 september 2021
About SURF and the Network Operations team
SURF is the collaboration organization for ICT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with education and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation to make the most of the opportunities presented by digitization. SURF has an extensive national and international network, providing high-quality connectivity and network services to organizations in higher education and research in the Netherlands. The Network Operations team is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the network and strives to provide excellent service
The Network Operations team consists of 8 people and is responsible for all operational activities on the SURF network. The emphasis is on the construction (expansion, modification or renewal) and management (24x7 monitoring, incident management) of the network. We don't do this alone. There are three closely collaborating teams within SURF that deal with the fixed network. We also work closely with an external management partner where our NOC is housed.
The daily activities of the Network Operations team are very diverse. We take care of the procurement and management of the fibre-optic network, access and management of all locations, control of the activities of the SURF NOC, change management, registration of internet resources, set-up and management of tooling, service delivery and project management. In addition, together with the other network departments, we are continuously working on improving our services and renewing our service portfolio.
What does the job entail?
On the SURF network, SURF offers various services to connected institutions throughout the Netherlands, thus providing high-quality national and international connectivity for our target group. Our ambition is to be a leader in applying new functionalities to our network so that users in education and research can benefit from high-quality technical possibilities. Securing the quality and continuity of this service is the main goal of the Network Operations team.
As a project manager, you will be in charge of various projects in the area of networks. These projects may involve new services, improvement projects, quality management, renewal of the network infrastructure, specific projects for customers or renewal of our management contracts. You will work a great deal with colleagues from the three network departments and, in the context of the projects, will also have many contacts with other departments within the SURF organisation. In most projects, you will also work closely with our management partner(s) or other suppliers.
To be able to do this job well, you must first of all have a wide range of project management skills. You have good communication skills, are pleasant to work with, can motivate people, set clear and realistic goals, have an eye for detail without losing sight of the big picture, are persistent and always keep a grip on the factors of time, budget and scope. In addition, you have experience with projects in the field of ICT networks and you have a good understanding of what is involved in maintaining a network.
What exactly are you going to do?
Your tasks will include at least:
- Leading network related projects. These can be projects in the field of network infrastructure, renewal or improvement of services, improvement of (management) processes and network tooling or the tendering of new service contracts;
- Establishing project objectives and frameworks in consultation with the client or steering committee, and providing accountability - where some projects involve external (e.g. European) grant providers;
- Organize project teams in consultation with executives and suppliers;
- Ensuring that knowledge about (new) products and processes is well documented and known to daily operations;
- Supervise the quality of services and products delivered;
- Initiating and monitoring the process of procurement (tendering) of products and services for the network;
- Sharing knowledge and expertise through blogs, presentations and workshops.
- Wo or at least a college degree, with at least 5 years of relevant work experience;
- Demonstrated experience leading network related projects;
- Experience with projects at different layers of the OSI network model is a plus;
- Knowledge of project management methodologies such as Prince, Scrum, Kanban and Lean and knowledge of service management frameworks such as ITIL;
- Experience with European procurement is a plus;
- Service and customer orientation with a good sense of diplomatic relations;
- Service- en klantgerichtheid met een goed gevoel voor diplomatieke verhoudingen;
- Good oral and written communication skills in Dutch and English.
In addition, you are pragmatic, results-oriented and can work independently as well as in a team.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of € 3535 to € 5802 gross based on full-time employment;
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS-Businesscard 1st class;
- Our office in Utrecht is located at walking distance from Utrecht CS.
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year.
Please send your motivation and resume to email@example.com. You can apply until September 24, 2021 at the latest.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.