Vacancy Quantumcommunication advisor
Do you have knowledge of quantum computing technology? Are you familiar with quantum communication? And would you like to use your knowledge to advance scientific research and discoveries? Then we would like to talk to you!
- Level of education: M.S.c. / PhD.
- Location: Utrecht and Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date: May 26th, 2022
About SURF and the Quantum team
SURF is the collaboration organisation for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities afforded by digitisation.
One of the focus areas is the application of quantum technology for scientific research and education, so that users of SURF's infrastructure will continue to have access to the best infrastructure and expertise in the future. In this way, we aim to continue facilitating top Dutch research and education in the world.
As a quantum communications advisor, you will be part of the Quantum Computing & Communications team, which in turn is part of the Future Technologies and Network program within the SURF Open Innovation Lab (https://www.surf.nl/lab). We are a close-knit, enthusiastic and at the same time very relaxed team. We encourage you to participate in the projects to which you can contribute most, but also in projects that you find interesting or about which you would like to know more. In addition, SURF as a whole offers an atmosphere with a high level of knowledge. People are always open to learning and sharing their expertise.
What does the job entail?
As a quantum communications consultant, you will contribute to unlocking new areas of research and scaling up research.
Together with our users and members, you will define and develop use cases and applications, allowing us to learn and experience first-hand the potential bottlenecks and general requirements of quantum communications. At the same time, you will contribute to the knowledge within a growing field. In this way, you will ensure that the Netherlands continues to innovate and achieves economic growth and prosperity.
What makes your work so interesting and valuable? First of all, the social impact of your work. We have about a hundred members, including universities, hospitals and research institutes such as RIVM and KNMI. If you help them to innovate, then you really contribute to medium and long-term developments in the field of High-Performance Computing, Networking, Quantum Technology, Data Processing, Data Management & Artificial Intelligence. And in doing so, you will make a difference to our entire society.
What are you going to do exactly?
- You will contribute to the quantum communication activities at SURF.
- You are one of the ambassadors of Quantum Communication at SURF towards its members, customers, users and industry and maintain contacts with international parties such as SURF's sister organizations and GEANT.
- You will research and demonstrate the future added value of quantum communication for research and education in the Netherlands.
- You contribute to the development of the quantum communication vision and strategy.
- You develop and implement technical test environments for experiments and help organize communities for use cases for quantum communication.
- You communicate results, share insights at national & international conferences/events.
- You supervise internships, BsC and MsC student projects.
- MSc/PhD in the technical sciences (electrical engineering, physics, computer science, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge and experience with network infrastructures
- Knowledge and experience with programming languages such as python or C is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in quantum communications
- Experience designing and deploying test environments and pilots
- Preferably experience with service integration and with the requirements to interface communication applications with software platforms
- Interest in new fields and curiosity about new opportunities. After all, you will be working in an innovative environment
- A good dose of independence
- Good online and offline communication skills. You know how to adapt your message to your listener
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits
- This position has a salary range of €4.224 to €6.034 gross on a full-time basis
- 8.33% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%
- 36 holiday days per year (on the basis of a 40-hour work week)
- An NS Business Card 1st class
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. Our Utrecht office is located at walking distance from Utrecht CS
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year
Send your motivation and resume to email@example.com. You can apply until May 26th, 2022 at the latest.
Prior to commencement of employment, a VOG must be presented for this position.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Who is responsible for the job content? Damian Podareanu and Ariana Torres
- Who is the HR adviser involved? Marrit Wilemsen