Vacancy Senior Expert Research Data Management
Do you have knowledge of Research Data Management and data processing? Do you like to experiment, explore and validate? And would you, as a Senior Expert Research Data management, like to contribute to innovations that will ensure that our knowledge and services continue to meet the needs of researchers in the future? Then react quickly!
- Level of education: WO/WO+
- Location: Utrecht
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date: July 12th, 2022
About SURF and the Innovation LAB team
SURF is the collaboration organisation for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities afforded by digitisation.
You will work in the Innovation LAB (within the Innovation Department), with a focus on applications and technology in the field of Research Data Management and data processing. The LAB stands for experimentation, exploration and validation. With the LAB team, we try to continuously renew our knowledge in numerous areas, to ensure that our expertise and services continue to meet the future needs of researchers. In doing so, we contribute to the goal of facilitating top-level Dutch research in the world with top facilities and relevant expertise. With your experience you oversee Research Data Management in the Netherlands and in the role of Senior Expert you are able to shape all projects within the LAB in this area, coordinate them in the role of program manager and direct them, and take the lead in vision creation in this area. You do this in coordination with the LAB innovation manager and other LAB program managers, and with colleagues from the services.
What does the job entail?
You will work at an academic level with SURF colleagues, research communities and users within the Dutch universities and knowledge institutions and you will move around in relevant international bodies and collaborations. With your knowledge of Data processing and management technologies, you will help shape and contribute to future LAB projects and roadmaps. You do this on the basis of developments and needs from researchers and the market, and in coherence with other programs and initiatives in this area. You also keep track of international developments, both technological and political. With your substantive knowledge, you are able to initiate new projects and thereby make a good assessment of their feasibility, the resources required, and their usefulness and impact on the SURF members and users. For this purpose, you coordinate a coherent programme within the LAB.
What are you going to do exactly?
Your tasks will at least include:
- Identifying, following and exploring national and international developments and their added value for SURF and relevant stakeholders in the area of data processing and management. Translating these into new initiatives, projects, and roadmaps;
- Initiating relevant projects and experiments for assessment of new technologies and methods for the benefit of the Data Processing and Management programme;
- Advising stakeholders within the Data Processing and Management focus area on the impact of (external) developments;
- Positioning SURF's activities within the focus area at relevant bodies;
- Having and maintaining specialist knowledge of the organisation in a broad sense and of its portfolio of products and services. You have a vision for the developments in these areas and propagate this vision;
- Setting up and coordinating the Data Processing and management program;
- Informing and coordinating with project leaders about project assignments, progress and results (to be delivered) and managing so that the project is realized according to plan and the results are linked to the parent program;
- You will also help translate SURF's strategic objectives into innovative objectives in the field of data processing and management technologies. You will come up with innovative ideas, solutions, and unique concepts. You will be able to involve the right parties and ensure that they keep up with the changes. You also share relevant information between strategic internal and external stakeholders and translate the collected input into concrete collaborations and activities. You have the ability to connect and create support, to spot and capitalize on opportunities.
- WO/WO+ work and thinking level;
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience;
- You have a university (subject-oriented) prior education and knowledge and experience with the use of advanced ICT within a complex and dynamic environment;
- You have knowledge and experience in the academic field in the field of scientific research;
- You have substantive knowledge of Data processing and RDM, and have demonstrable hands-on experience with relevant techniques and tools;
- You have hands-on experience with project and program management;
- You are able to be a discussion partner with our members on a tactical strategic level;
- You have experience in translating (future) user requirements and technological developments into long-term roadmaps and policy documents;
- You have experience in participating in relevant international bodies and/or advisory groups;
- You preferably have experience with national and European projects and programs;
- You are a skilled networker, connector and team player. Result-oriented, communicative, diplomatic and self-learning are also competencies you bring to the table.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of €4.224 to €6.998 gross on a full-time basis;
- 8.33% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%
- 36 holiday days per year (on the basis of a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. Our Utrecht office is located at walking distance from Utrecht CS;
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year.
Send your motivation and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply until July 12th 2022 at the latest.
Prior to commencement of employment, a VOG must be presented for this position.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Who is responsible for the job content? Axel Berg or/and Peter Michielse
- Who is the HR adviser involved? Marrit Willemsen