Vacancy Software engineer - Back-end developer
Are you a software developer who enjoys developing high-quality software and helping to design software architecture? Do you want to support national and international scientific communities and build solutions to make big data manageable, accessible and shareable? Do you want to help make research future-proof using ICT? We have the job for you.
What does the position entail?
We are looking for a talented developer for the Data Management Services team, an energetic cross-functional team that specializes in Research Data Management (RDM). Based in Amsterdam, the team is part of SURF: a cooperative association of Dutch educational and research institutions in which its members join forces. As software engineer, you will work closely together with colleagues to develop new RDM software and integrate existing services that make it possible for academic researchers to share their data, collaborate more effectively, and access cutting-edge services on SURF’s high-performance computing and data infrastructure.
Our enthusiasm for our customers (scientists, students and scientific institutions) and their research is what drives us. We love to work with and for others. We believe in working in close-knit teams that are strongly allied with our research communities. We see data management as an interesting and highly relevant challenge and are excited to work in this field alongside the scientific community.
What will you do exactly?
- Develop high-quality software and help design the software architecture
- Develop integrations between existing research data software and services
- Champion modern DevOps practices such as CI/CD and test automation
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to identify opportunities and improve software products
What we are looking for
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent
- Track record of delivering back-end software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems
- Proficiency in Python and at least another programming language (e.g. PHP, C/C++ or Java)
- Proficiency in working with Linux systems
- Proficiency in working with version control systems
- Willingness to learn new programming languages as needed
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Fluent in English (and minimally working knowledge of Dutch)
You will have an edge if you have experience in one or more of the following:
- Design and architecture of distributed systems
- Data(base) management technology such as iRODS, OwnCloud, PostgreSQL
- Developing REST APIs and microservices (e.g. using Flask or similar frameworks)
- DevOps principles and technology such as Docker, CI/CD, K8S
- Fluent in English and Dutch
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with highly skilled, passionate professionals in innovative teams.
- Share our pride of working at the forefront of Open Science, creating the infrastructure that will enable new forms of research and data-driven scientific discovery.
- The opportunity to develop yourself further as an expert on (big) data software and services.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international conferences.
- An international environment
Terms of employment:
- You will be appointed a full-time position. Our standard work-week is 40-hours. Less hours is negotiable.
- Salary will be a maximum of EUR 3.941,- gross per month, based on a 40-hour work week.
- 8,3% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week)
- An NS Business card
- Initially the contract will be until July 1st 2021, with the intention to extend.
Send your motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.