Vacancy Specialist Engineer
As a network specialist, you are the spindle of the available technology for the internal organisation. You are responsible for the management and provide technical solutions. You support colleagues in the organisation and specialists in your team.
- Level of education: HBO
- Location: Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date:
About SURF and the team Internal Services Operational Support
SURF is the collaboration organisation for ICT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities afforded by digitisation.
The Operational Support team is part of the Internal Services department. Internal Services is responsible for SURF's Information Management, Office Automation, Network and Datacenter Services, Technical Management, SOC and the Service Desk. You will be part of Network and Datacenter Services.
There is direct contact with operational teams who have specific requirements for the services provided to our members that are (primarily) related to our computing services.
What does the job entail?
You ensure optimally functioning networks with a minimum number of incidents and you are also responsible for up-to-date (technical) documentation. You provide correct support to our internal users. In all your activities, you strive for high customer satisfaction and optimum operation of the systems.
Monitoring and management
- Manages, maintains and monitors systems, identifies hurdles and makes improvement proposals.
- Supports the roll-out/replacement of network components.
- Collects and evaluates data concerning the performance and security of the systems. Identifies and addresses anomalies and risks.
- Prepares reports on the performance and security of the systems.
- Gives first and second line support to users on (specialised) networks.
- Identifies hurdles and wishes regarding the use of our networks and makes improvement proposals.
- Creating and maintaining documentation for colleagues.
- Processes user requirements, assesses them for feasibility and functionality, and draws up specifications.
- Develops and/or implements software and tools with the philosophy of automating as many tasks as possible.
- Makes an inventory of the functionality / possibilities of systems in the transition from existing to new systems.
- Monitors and actively supports systems on identical and/or improved functionalities during transitions.
- Maintains and tests existing hardware and software and implements improvements.
- Installs standard hardware and software solutions.
What are you going to do exactly?
You will participate in projects to change and innovate the network within the various data centre locations. An example of this is creating a new core design together with the team and implementing it.
Your daily activities will consist of (standard) operational matters such as firewall and ACL changes, creating and deploying additional VLANs through the EVPN fabric. Working on projects to improve the data centre network. Writing or adapting documentation.
You take care of the operational network and react adequately to possible failures together with your colleagues.
Occasionally you will be required to work physically in the data centres to make changes or resolve faults.
- HBO work and thinking level;
- Minimum of 3 years work experience;
- Command of the Dutch and English languages, both verbally and in writing;
- Experience with Linux, specifically Cumulus Linux is a plus;
- Experience with EVPN is an advantage;
- Certified CCNP or JNCIP is preferred;
- Experience with Automation, preferably experience with Ansible
- Knowledge and experience of scripting is a plus. Think of Python or bash;
- You have a customer-oriented attitude and are a team player;
- You work independently;
- You communicate easily online and offline at different levels;
- The ability to bite into something in order to solve (complex) issues.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of € 3.267 to € 5.252 gross on a full-time basis;
- 8.33% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%
- 36 holiday days per year (on the basis of a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby;
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year.
Send your motivation and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who is responsible for the job content? Paul Reemeijer
- Who is the HR adviser involved? Romanda Lebbink