We are looking for a sysadmin to join our Online Data Storage team. The team consists of sysadmins and devops engineers who build, scale and maintain our large-scale data storage infrastructure. The sync-and-share services SURFdrive and Research Drive with tens of thousands of users are among the services managed by the team.
- Level of education: hbo/wo
- Location: Amsterdam
- Number of hours: 32-40
- Closing date: September 2th, 2022
About SURF and the Online Data Services team
SURF is the collaboration organisation for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation in order to make optimum use of the opportunities afforded by digitisation.
The Online Data Services team manages a number of large-scale data storage systems, and we facilitate the sharing and processing of data for education and research purposes. Our mission is to make the world a better place by contributing to scientific progress and discoveries. We do this by understanding the scientist's problem and working together to overcome their challenges.
What does the job entail?
Team Online Data Services is looking for a sysadmin. Initially, you will work on the management and further development of SURFdrive and Research Drive. SURFdrive and Research Drive are two data sharing services maintained by our team. SURFdrive is a sync-and-share service for personal storage with over 60000 users. Recently, we started Research Drive which facilitates the sharing of research data. There are many developments going on in both services and we could really use your help with that.
We offer an inspiring work environment in an open atmosphere with helpful colleagues. We work daily with exciting new technologies to enable world-class scientific research and education. We live on the cutting edge of infrastructure technology. Do you want to contribute to this as well? Then come work with us!
We are looking for talented colleagues with a solid knowledge of Linux and networking technologies and scripting languages. Previous work experience is of less importance than the drive to develop these skills, embrace emerging technologies and create cool new things.
Furthermore, we ask:
- A solid foundation in technical and communication skills;
- A solid understanding of Linux operating systems;
- Experience with or interest in storage technologies;
- Experience with or interest in automation tools and methodologies (Ansible, Git);
- Ability to focus on the customer without losing sight of overall service performance and stability;
- Comfortable with working in a team, taking initiative and ownership of projects and tasks;
- Good verbal and written command of the Dutch and/or English language.
And it’s a plus if you have experience or interest in or with:
- Programming (php/golang/python/bash;
- Operational IT Service Management;
- The following technologies: high-availability web hosting, load balancing, database clustering, containerization, full-stack solution engineering.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of €3.676 to €5.252 gross on a full-time basis;
- 8.33% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 holiday days per year (on the basis of a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby.
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting to a permanent contract after one year.
Send your motivation and resume to email@example.com. You can apply until September 2th, 2022 at the latest.
Prior to commencement of employment, a VOG must be presented for this position.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Who is responsible for the job content? Ron Trompert
- Who is the HR adviser involved? Marrit Willemsen