Vacancy Sysadmin Online Data Storage
Will you be joining our Online Data Services team? The team manages the sync-and-share services SURFdrive and Research Drive with tens of thousands of users. We are also responsible for a large-scale data storage structure used by scientific instruments such as the Large Hadron Collider and LOFAR.
There is a lot of development going on in both services and we could really use your help. Are you up to the challenge?
- Educational background: hbo/Msc
- Location: Amsterdam
- Employment: 32-40
- Closing date: 11 July 2021
About SURF and the Online Data Services Team
SURF is the collaboration organization for ICT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on ICT facilities and ICT innovation to make the most of the opportunities presented by digitization.
The Online Data Services team manages a number of large-scale data storage systems and we facilitate the sharing and processing of data for education and research. Our mission is to make the world a better place by contributing to scientific progress and discoveries. We do this by understanding the scientist's problem and working together to overcome their challenges.
What will you be doing exactly?
We want to strengthen our team with a sysadmin. The team consists of sysadmins and devops engineers who build, scale up and maintain our large-scale data storage infrastructure. Initially you will work on managing and further developing SURFdrive and Research Drive. SURFdrive and Research Drive are two data sharing services maintained by our team. SURFdrive is a sync-and-share service for personal storage with over 60,000 users.
More recently, we launched Research Drive which facilitates the sharing of research data.
We are looking for
Talented people with a solid knowledge of Linux and networking technology and scripting languages. Previous work experience is less important than the drive to develop skills, embrace emerging technologies and create cool new things. Furthermore, we ask:
- A solid foundation in technical and communication skills;
- A good understanding of Linux operating systems;
- Interest in or experience with programming (php/golang/python/bash is a plus);
- Interest in or experience with storage technologies, automation tools and methodologies (Ansible, Git), and operational IT Service Management is a plus;
- Ability to focus on the customer without losing sight of overall service performance and stability;
- Comfortable with working in a team, taking initiative and ownership of projects and tasks;
- A good command of the Dutch and English languages, both verbally and in writing.
An inspiring work environment, an open atmosphere of helpful colleagues, and working with exciting new technologies to enable world-class scientific research and education. We live on the cutting edge of infrastructure technology.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of € 3535 to € 5050 gross based on full-time employment;
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1 class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. Amsterdam Science Park station is within walking distance;
- The appointment is initially on the basis of a one-year contract, with the prospect of a permanent employment in the event of good performance and unaltered business conditions.
Please send your motivation letter and cv by 11 July 2021 to email@example.com to the attention of Ron Trompert.
You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment. Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.