Vacancy Technical Advisor – Online Data Services
Do you have a solid technical background with good communication skills? Are you interested to work in a dynamic team that delivers state-of-the-art storage technologies and data management solutions? We are looking for a Technical Advisor to join our Online Data Storage team.
- Educational background: Academic/Higher Education
- Location: Amsterdam
- Employment: 32-40
- Closing date:
About SURF and the Online Data Services Team
SURF is the collaboration organization for IT for Dutch education and research. SURF works with educational and research institutions on IT facilities and IT innovation to make the most of the opportunities presented by digitization.
The Online Data Services team manages a number of large-scale data storage systems. Our mission is to make the world a better place by contributing to scientific progress and discoveries. We do this by understanding the scientist's problem and working together to overcome their challenges. The team consists of system administrators, DevOps engineers and advisors who build, scale and maintain our large-scale data storage infrastructure. The sync-and-share services SURFdrive and Research Drive with tens of thousands of users are among the services managed by the team. These services facilitate data sharing and active Research Data Management for Dutch education and research. We also contribute to large-scale data storage structures used by scientific instruments like the Large Hadron Collider and LOFAR.
We offer an inspiring work environment, an open atmosphere of helpful colleagues, and working with exciting new technologies to enable world-class scientific research and education. We live on the cutting edge of infrastructure technology. Will you come work for us?
What does the job entail?
As a technical advisor in the Online Data Services, you will provide advice and support for SURF Data and Storage services, and in particular SURFdrive, Research Drive and Object Store. You contribute to giving trainings and engage with our user community through user group meetings. You understand the needs and requirements of the user community and are able to translate that into technical requirements. You can also demonstrate your knowledge in a professional and engaging way to colleagues, external relations and users. You are able to identify possibilities for improvement and innovation and drive development of new solutions.
What will you be doing exactly?
We are looking to strengthen our team with a new colleague with advisory skills. In this position:
- You will work close with the technical team on managing, developing and supporting services.
- You will provide support for our user community to make optimal use of the services.
- You are able to recognize the needs of our user community and translate those into technical requirements.
- You provide trainings in the topic of Research Data Management and onboarding new users to use and support our services.
- You communicate effectively with other teams and the innovations department within SURF to explore one or more strategies areas at the frontend of innovation.
We are looking for
We are looking for talented people with who enjoy working independently, but also function well in a team. You have good social skills and recognize yourself in the following:
- An academic level of thinking and working (WO/WO+);
- A solid foundation in technical and communication skills;
- Good knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems;
- Experience with programming (PHP/ C++/Python/Bash is a plus) and storage technologies;
- Excellent communication skills, you speak and write fluently in English and in Dutch;
- Interest in or experience with teaching or delivering training sessions;
- Comfortable with working in a team, taking initiative and ownership of projects and tasks;
- Interest in or experience with operational IT Service Management is a plus;
- Knowledge or experience in data management or high performance computing is a plus.
- A varied and challenging job for 32-40 hours (0.8 - 1.0 FTE) in an informal and collegial atmosphere with a high level of ambition;
- SURF offers extensive training opportunities and excellent fringe benefits;
- This position has a salary range of €3676,- to €5252,- gross based on full-time employment;
- 8.33% vacation allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8.33%;
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week);
- An NS Business Card 1st class;
- Our Amsterdam office is located at the Amsterdam Science Park, with good public transport facilities nearby. Amsterdam Science Park station is within walking distance;
- Initially, the contract will be for one year, with the intention of converting this to a permanent position after one year.
Please send your motivation letter and cv August 15th, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Ron Trompert.
You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Wie gaat er inhoudelijk over de functie? Ron Trompert
- Wie is de betrokken HR-adviseur? Anita Sudré