Vacancy Technical consultant – Distributed Systems/Big Data
SURF is looking for a technical consultant (adviseur) with both technical and good communication skills to help to deliver innovative solutions that will facilitate research in the Netherlands.
What does the position entail?
Within the Scalable Data Analytics team SURF uses modern cloud technology to deploy and configure solutions for data intensive science and interactive data science. Application domains range from social sciences to IoT projects. Together with colleagues and interested user communities you will actively contribute to the results of these projects and engage with researchers.
What will you do?
You will work with knowledgeable colleagues in an open environment on state-of-the-art technology. You will set up and deploy working solutions for research, present your ideas, plans and results to stakeholders and user communities. You will proactively involve interesting parties and individuals. You will suggest new directions for innovation and propose concrete plans for implementing new ideas.
What we are looking for?
We are looking for someone with excellent technical and communication skills.
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent.
- You have a keen interest in new technology and like to explore new areas of expertise, in relation to the current focus of SURF. Your unix/linux skills are good and you are familiar with at least two programming languages and software engineering fundamentals.
- You have a strong affinity with science in a facilitating capacity.
- You have a good grasp of how data processing and computational systems can facilitate modern research and what kind of barriers have to be overcome.
- You like to assist and support academic research rather that doing research yourself.
- You like to present and explain your work to others and know how to explain concepts that are difficult to others.
- You know how to reach out to potential user groups and relevant communities.
- You are fluent in English and Dutch.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with highly skilled, passionate professionals in innovative teams.
- Share our pride of working at the forefront of Open Science, creating the infrastructure that will enable new forms of research and data-driven scientific discovery.
- The opportunity to develop yourself further as an expert on (big) data software and services.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international conferences.
- An international environment.
Terms of employment:
- You will be appointed a full-time position. Our standard work-week is 40-hours. Less hours is negotiable.
- Salary will be a maximum of EUR 5666,- gross per month, based on a 40-hour work week.
- 8,3% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week)
- An NS Business card
- Initially the contract will be until July 1st 2021, with the intention to extend.
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com.