Purchasing services from SURFnet
SURFnet's high-quality network services are available to institutions for scientific research and higher education, and to other institutions funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. Schools for primary and secondary education and cultural institutions can use the SURFnet network via service providers.
Request connection to the SURFnet network
You can request a connection by contacting SURFnet Customer Support, via email@example.com. The communication and information services that SURFnet provides to institutions include full Internet connectivity. These services are intended for students and staff of the affiliated institutes.
SURFdashboard provides an overview of all SURFnet services. Institutional contact persons can request services here and report changes relating to contact persons. You will also be provided with monthly reports on the services purchased by your institution.
SURFnet only admits institutions to the SURFnet network that belong to its target group
- Healthcare institutions (academic hospitals and STZ hospitals)
- Institutions for higher professional education (HBO)
- Research institutions
- Research departments of companies
- Institutions for secondary vocational education (MBO)
- Other institutions financed by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
As it is not feasible for SURF to serve all institutions funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, two service provider models have been developed;
- The Education Service Providers (ESP) model for primary and secondary schools, and
- The Cultural Service Provider (CSP) model for cultural institutions.
An ESP or CSP can request a connection to the SURFnet network by contacting SURFnet Customer Support, via firstname.lastname@example.org. Any internet service provider (ISP) or other institution or company can act as ESP or CSP. This party is authorised to transfer the Internet traffic of institutions that fall within the target group of SURFnet to the SURFnet network on equal terms. ESPs and CSPs will not have access to our other services; they provide their own services to schools and cultural institutions.
The Service Level Specification (SLS) (pdf) is intended to provide institutions connected to SURFnet with a reference point for SURFnet's services. In the SLS, SURFnet describes its services as clearly and measurably as possible. NetherLight has its own Service Level Specification)
- SURFnet Service Level Specificatie versie 10.0 (oktober 2016) (pdf)
- SURFnet Service Level Specificatie versie 9.0 (maart 2016) (pdf)
- SURFnet Service Level Specificatie versie 8.0 (maart 2015) (pdf)
- SURFnet Service Level Specificatie versie 7.0 (april 2013) (pdf)
NetherLight Service Level Specification
NetherLight has its own Service Level Specificatie (versie 3.0, maart 2016) (pdf, Engels)