Possibilities of location-based services
SURFnet has commissioned market research into location-based services. SURFnet wants to answer a few questions:
- What are the technological capabilities of indoor positioning and location-based services?
- Which options do large Wi-Fi providers currently offer?
- How can this be applied to education and research?
- What privacy aspects need to be taken into consideration when implementing location-based services?
Applications with location data
Location-based services are applications that use the location data of objects or people. Their location in a building is determined via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth beacons in combination with sensors such as smartphones.
There are many potential applications of location-based services that are relevant to education and research institutions. For example: measuring when and where there are large groups of students, giving students access to course material when they are in a lecture hall, or helping students find the nearest empty study cubicle in the library.
Give your input on location-based services
SURFnet would like to work together with institutions to explore the possibilities of location-based services. If you see opportunities for implementing location-based services at your institution, please contact Florian Draisma.
- Start and end date
- 01 Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2018