The network of the future
Reliability, continuity, and flexibility
In order to respond to users' current and future requirements, we're working on an open and programmable network within Project SURFnet8 which, in addition to a high degree of reliability and continuity, also offers a great deal of flexibility for the development of new functionalities and services. The future network will be more flexible and, thanks to automation, network function virtualisation and the decoupling of hardware and software, changes will be quicker and easier to implement.
SURFnet8 is being built with a flexible architecture. This will make it easy for us to deal with new developments in the future, and we will be able to rapidly implement new innovations without needing to start by replacing all the hardware in the network. This makes it possible for the network to evolve. The development of software plays a major role in this.
Interaction between network and user will be central
The interaction between network and user will be central to the network of the future: institutions are able to integrate the network optimally with their own applications, and users are able to request (innovative) services, such as virtual firewalls, quickly and easily. They are also able to experiment easily with new technologies.
Upgrading the infrastructure
In order to realise this vision, we are upgrading the infrastructure of the SURFnet network. Important principles of this upgrade are high-quality network architecture, a multifaceted self-service network and an open, programmable network.
The SURFnet network consists of 2 layers: the optical layer and the service layer. The optical layer illuminates the optical fibres. The service layer offers services to institutions. We have published 2 for the upgrade of both layers. The tender for the optical layer has been completed; the new optical layer will be implemented in 2017.
- In 2015, the network architecture was defined at all levels. The tendering process was also initiated in this year via a Request For Information.
- In 2016, the Requests For Proposals (RFP) were published. In December, the contract for the optical layer was signed with ECI Telecom.
- In 2017 we start with the implementation of the optical layer. This year, the contract for the service layer will also be signed. Read the tender for the service layer.
- In 2018, we will start with the implementation of the service layer, after the implementation of the optical layer has been completed.
- Read more about the innovation programme Connecting Infrastructures
- Read more about the implementation of the optical layer
- Blog: Advancing towards unprecedented quality
- Blog: Advancing towards a valued service portfolio
- Blog: Advancing towards an open, programmable network
- Blog: The network of the future - hardware and software decoupled
- Blog: The network of the future - automated configuration of technology domains
- Blog: The network of the future - a new technology domain: network function virtualisation
- Blog: The network of the future - challenges and a glimpse of the distant future
- Blog: The network of the future - moving together towards intent-based interactive networking
- Start date
- 01 Jan 2015