Privacy & cookies
SURF and its operating companies value the privacy of their institutions and website visitors. For this reason, SURF handles your personal data with care in accordance with the Dutch Data Protection Act.
Storing and securing your data
Your personal data will exclusively be stored and processed in aid of services provided to you or your institution by SURF and its operating companies. Any personal data you provide will only be stored for the necessary amount of time.
As regards the processing of personal data, SURF will maintain adequate security standards in order to prevent unauthorised access to or the modification or loss of your information.
SURF publishes the newsletter SURF News with short news bulletins on matters relating to ICT in higher education and research, the latest Internet developments and the products and services offered by SURF and its operating companies.
SURF will not add your email address to our list of subscribers unless you have granted your express permission. Each newsletter features a link allowing you to unsubscribe. We will not make our subscriber database available to any third parties.
Cookies that SURF uses
SURF uses a functional cookie, in order for the website to function correctly. This cookie is called JSESSIONID.
Google Maps cookie
SURF uses Google Maps and a Google Maps API to give visitors an overview of the institutions that are participating in SURF. Google uses a PREF-cookie on your computer for this functionality. This cookie saves the zoom level, language settings and region. It does not store any personal data.
SURF uses the open source statistics tool Piwik (http://piwik.org). This tool gives SURF insight into the way visitors use the website and makes it possible to improve it.
Piwik uses the following cookies on your computer:
- _pk_ref: This cookie tracks from which website you are visiting the SURF website. It is valid for 6 months.
- _ pk_cvar: This optional cookie is placed on your computer when, for example, you participate in a survey. The cookie prevents you from being asked to participate in the same survey a second time. This cookie is valid for 2 years.
- _pk_id: This cookie determines if you are a new or returning visitor. This cookie is valid for 2 years.
- _pk_ses: This cookie determines which pages you have visited on SURF.nl. The cookie is only valid during that specific visit.
SURF uses the statistics tool Hotjar (https://www.hotjar.com) to gain real-time insight in the way you use our website as a unique, anonymous visitor (mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity). We also use Hotjar for online surveys about our site. With this information we can improve our site and adapt it to the way you use it. Hotjar does not show nor use IP addresses. Data cannot be traced to an IP address. Hotjar cookies automatically expire after 1 year. You have to explicitly grant permission for Hotjar cookies to be stored on your computer. The following cookies may be stored:
- _hjUserId: This cookie determines if you are a new or returning visitor.
- _hjClosedSurveyInvites: This cookie is used to ensure that the same invite does not re-appear if it has already been shown.
- _hjDonePolls: This cookie is used to ensure that the same poll does not re-appear if you have already filled it in.
- _hjMinimizedPolls: This cookie is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when you navigate through your site.
- _hjDoneTestersWidgets: This cookie is used to ensure that the same form does not re-appear if you have already been filled it in.
- _hjMinimizedTestersWidgets: This cookie is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when you navigate through your site.
- _hjDoneSurveys: This cookie is used to only load the survey content if you haven't completed the survey yet.
Social media buttons
The social media buttons on SURF.nl are links to the social networks concerned. They do not place any cookies.
SURF seeks to provide transparency about the way in which we handle privacy and cookies. For any questions or requests regarding this, please send an email to email@example.com.
Changes to this statement
SURF reserves the right to modify this statement. This website will always feature the latest version.