Using internet and institutional services encrypted on unsafe networks
eduVPN is already available, but will be officially launched at the SURF Security- en Privacy conference on February the 8th and 9th.
Encrypted network traffic
Of course, the network of your institution is connected to eduroam, a secure environment which you have control over as an institution. However, students, lecturers and researchers are increasingly working from home, temporary addresses, or on the train. Many public networks - and some home networks too - are not safe enough. eduVPN solves this problem by using a virtual private network (VPN) in which network traffic is encrypted. This prevents prying eyes nearby from being able to view the traffic.
eduVPN uses OpenVPN. This open-source software has been comprehensively checked and is considered highly secure. Additionally, eduVPN has implemented strict privacy and security measures. You can integrate eduVPN into your institution's network, allowing services and systems within the institution's network which are not normally accessible from elsewhere to be made available online securely.
Benefits of eduVPN
- Users do not even need to configure anything themselves. They simply install the eduVPN software before logging in with their existing account at your institution (through SURFconext).
- As an institution, you can choose whether to grant only institute access (access to protected systems within the institution), or whether to also offer secure Internet (protecting all of your users' Internet traffic).
- Secure Internet users can establish VPN connections to all countries participating in eduVPN. There are only a few participating countries at the moment, but the list is continuing to grow.
- Both logging in to web interfaces and connecting to the VPN server can be protected with two-step authentication using time-based one-time passwords (TOTP), or a Yubikey.
- SURFnet offers second and third line support for both users and institutions.
The cost of eduVPN depends on your institution's overall population, meaning the number of people actually using eduVPN does not matter.
|0 - 1,000 people||EUR 100 per month|
|1,001 - 5,000 people||EUR 500 per month|
|5,001 - 15,000 people||EUR 850 per month|
|> 15,000 people||EUR 1,250 per month|
Rates do not include VAT. With institute access with personal IP addresses, additional costs for light paths may arise if there is no available MSP port capacity.