SURF has developed a broad range of services for various phases in the data life-cycle. This involves not only (large quantities of) data being stored safely, but also aspects such as data management, data replication, data retention, and data identification.
- SURFdrive is a personal cloud storage service for the Dutch higher education and research community, offering an easy way to store, synchronise and share files. All data is securely stored within the Netherlands and all data transmitted over the networks is always encrypted. You get 100 GB data storage capacity. SURFdrive is available for you if your institution has a license.
- With Beehub, you can save and share large volumes of research data. It is intended for storing and exchanging scientific data that has not yet been processed or analysed. This may involve extremely large data volumes.The 100 GB quota allocated to users as standard can be expanded upon request. Beehub enables you to easily share your data with other BeeHub users, even at other institutions or countries. It is also possible to create user groups and authorise them to access some or all of your data. BeeHub is an online service accessible by means of a web interface and a data transfer protocol (WebDAV). SURF's computing facilities provide easy access to files stored in BeeHub.
- B2SAFE/Data replication makes it possible to save data to multiple locations in a secure fashion. In order to permanently be able to determine the location of data, persistent identifiers are used.
- The SURFsara Data Archive is the central location for the archiving and storage of data, including long-term. The archive offers quick access to the SURFsara computing facilities.
- Data Persistent Identifier: using PIDs ensures the findability of your data, now and always. SURFsara offers this service in cooperation with the European Persistent Identifier Consortium (EPIC).
- Data Ingest is a service designed to transfer data from external hard disks to one of the SURFsara storage systems.
- Object Store provides a general purpose online storage service that may be used for storing large quantities of data. The service is ideal for storing various types of data, and has the ability to grow without restriction, while your data remains quickly and easily accessible.
Long-term storage in Trustworthy Digital Repositories (TDR)
- As an institution, research community, or individual researcher, you can archive (selections from) your research data for the long term in a Trustworthy Digital Repository. The RDNL-partners 4TU.Centre for Research Data, Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS), and SURFsara offer this standardised and well documented storage solution. Funders are increasingly demanding that your research data be stored in a TDR. By using long-term storage in Trustworthy Digital Repositories (TDR), you ensure that your research data remain traceable via Persistent Identifiers. This allows you to reuse existing data and archive your own data securely and sustainably.