Vacancy Software engineer / Back-end developer
Do you want to work in the field of software development and system integration and help connect national and international scientific communities? Do you want to help build and implement solutions to make (big) data manageable, accessible and shareable? Do you want to help make research future-proof using ICT? Then we have the job for you.
Working/thinking level: academic/higher professional education
What does the position entail?
We are looking for a talented developer for the Data Management Services team, an energetic and growing team that specializes in Research Data Management (RDM). As part of this cross-functional team, you will work on the development and realization of (research) data management solutions for researchers and scientific communities. You will closely collaborate with colleagues to develop software and (web) portals that enable researchers to share their data, work together more effectively, and access cutting-edge services on SURFsara’s high performance computing and data infrastructure.
Our enthusiasm for our customers (scientists, students and scientific institutions) and their research is what drives us. We love to work with and for others. We believe that our organization can only grow if IT professionals work in close-knit teams that are strongly allied with our research communities. We see (research) data management as an interesting challenge and are excited to work in this field alongside the scientific community.
What will you do exactly?
- Develop high-quality software and help design the software architecture
- Develop integrations between existing research data software and services
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Produce clean and efficient code
- Review and debug code
- Collaborate with internal teams to identify opportunities and improve software products
What we are looking for
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent
- Track record of delivering back-end software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems
- Proficiency in Python and at least another programming languages (e.g. C/C++ or Java)
- Proficiency in working with Linux systems
- Willingness to learn a new programming paradigm
- Team player with excellent communication skills in Dutch and English
You will have an edge if you have experience in one or more of the following:
- Distributed systems design and architecture
- Data(base) management technology such as iRODS, OwnCloud, PostgreSQL
- Developing REST APIs and microservices (e.g. using flask or similar frameworks)
- Front-end development
- DevOps principles
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with highly skilled, passionate professionals in innovative teams. Share our pride of building the technology that enables the scientific research of tomorrow.
- The opportunity to develop yourself further as an expert on (big) data software and services.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international conferences.
- A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
Terms of employment:
- You will be appointed a full-time position. Our standard work-week is 38 hours. Less hours is negotiable.
- Salary ranking in the VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10-11 depending on your level of education and experience. A maximum of EUR 4.978,- gross per month, based on a 38-hour work week.
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week)
- When working a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12 to a total of 41 days.
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometers one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund (pension fund for the public sector and education), where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com.
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ (Senior Recruiter): 020-8001300
- Read more about our services and activities in the field of research data management
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.