Vacancy (Sr.) HPC Consultant / Scientific Programmer
Do you want to work in a challenging and innovative environment? Would you like to contribute to research and education in the Netherlands using High Performance Computing and contribute towards making data harnessable and sharable? If so, we welcome you to join the Supercomputing-team.
Working/thinking level: MSc/PhD
What does the position entail?
SURFsara supports research and education through innovation and service development, by leveraging its expertise in high performance computing, data processing and data services. We are looking for an HPC consultant/scientific programmer who will support scientists from both an academic and corporate environment. Among other things you will be doing this by developing and improving software (performance optimization and scaling).
Besides supporting the researchers on the HPC infrastructure, the compute services department is also participating in a number national and international projects which you will be part of. Additionally, we are actively disseminating our acquired expertise to the scientific community. This usually involves participating in courses, webinars, and public talks.
Within SURFsara the department Compute Services is responsible for the national supercomputer Cartesius and the national compute cluster Lisa. Cartesius currently has 50,000 CPU cores and 132 GPUs, with a total peak performance of 1.8 Pflop/s. Lisa currently consists of almost 7,000 CPU cores and 100 GPUs. The main users of the Dutch National HPC infrastructure are researchers at Dutch universities and (international) research institutes.
What we are looking for
An academic level of thinking and working, and professional experience which includes:
- Affinity with scientific research in the fields of for example Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, IT or Astronomy.
- Knowledge of various parallel or other computer architectures
- Experience with parallel programming (MPI required, preferably also OpenMP)
- Experience with programming (Fortran and/or C/C++)
- UNIX/Linux knowledge
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting, Python, Perl)
- Knowledge of (GP)GPU programming, CUDA, OpenCL and/or PGAS languages is preferred.
Your skills include the ability to focus on the customer, take initiative and be pro-active. You enjoy working in an independent manner and have the ability to work in a team. You have excellent interpersonal and communicative skills and a good spoken and written command of English and/or Dutch.
What we offer
A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
- You will be appointed a full-time position, our contracts are based on 38 hours
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10/11 for consultants/advisors (€ 2.709 – €4.978), 11/12 for senior consultants/advisors (€3.637 – €5.656)
- 8% holiday allowance, a structural end-of-year bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week), if you chose to work a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
Send your motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ (Senior Recruiter): +31 (0)20-8001300
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.