Vacancy Technical consultant
SURFsara is looking for a technical consultant (advisor) with both technical and good communication skills to help deliver high-quality scalable services for researchers in The Netherlands. The Scalable Data Analytics group provides services related to data science and big data analytics and is continuously looking to improve its service offerings.
- Working/thinking level: academic/vocational
- Location: Amsterdam
- Number of hours- 38 - 40
What does this position entail?
In the SDA group we provide data analytics services to the Dutch academic community. Currently we use Kubernetes to deploy services, like JupyterHub and Apache Spark. The position of adviser entails setting up such services in close collaboration with system engineers, being responsible for service management and reaching out to new user communities.
In addition, the group is involved in several projects not necessarily related to the services mentioned above. These involve innovation projects and collaborations with other institutes. All these projects are somehow related to data analytics and data engineering.
What will you do?
You will work in a small, motivated, and innovative team that does quite a bit of multi-tasking. You will work with Kubernetes to deploy services like JupyterHub and Apache Spark. You will interact with (academic) users to explain how to best use these services and provide support. And you will participate or initiate new projects in which you will work on new developments in technology and data analytics.
What we are looking for
- You have a Bachelor or Master in a technical field
- We are looking for someone with excellent technical and communication skills and an eagerness to learn.
- You should have a keen interest in new technology and explore new areas of expertise, in relation to the current focus of the team: scalable data analytics and engineering.
- Your Unix/Linux skills are excellent and you are familiar with at least two programming languages. It would be great if you have worked with Kubernetes and Docker.
- We are looking for someone who has an affinity with science in a facilitating capacity: you like to assist and support academic users in using SURFsara services.
- You like to present and explain your work to others and know how to explain difficult concepts.
- You know how to reach out to potential user groups and relevant communities
What we offer
A diverse work environment, with many nationalities (working languages are English and Dutch)
- Salary ranking in the VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10/11 depending on your level of education and experience. A maximum of EUR 4978,- gross per month, based on a 38-hour work week.
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week)
- When working a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
- Initially the contract will be for one year, with the intension to extend to an indefinite contract.
Send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com.
For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department: Kimberley Christ, senior recruiter (020-8001300)
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organisation
You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.