Vacature (sr.) HPC-adviseur/wetenschappelijk programmeur
Do you want to work in a challenging and innovative environment? Would you like to contribute to facilitating research and education in the Netherlands by making efficient use of the National High Performance Computing infrastructure? If so, we welcome your application for the Supercomputing team.
What does the position entail?
SURF supports research and education through innovation and service development, by leveraging its expertise in High Performance Computing, Data Processing and Data Services. We are looking for an HPC consultant/scientific programmer who will support scientists from both an academic and corporate environment. Among other things you will be doing this by developing and improving software (performance optimization and scaling).
Besides supporting researchers on our HPC infrastructure, the Compute Services department is participating in a number national and international projects that aim to improve (usage of) HPC infrastructure, often in collaboration with other HPC centers. Additionally, we actively disseminate our acquired expertise to the scientific community through training, webinars and other public talks.
Within SURF the Compute Services department is responsible for the national supercomputer Cartesius and the national compute cluster Lisa. Cartesius currently has 50,000 CPU cores and 132 GPUs, with a total peak performance of 1.8 Pflop/s. Lisa currently consists of almost 7,000 CPU cores and more than 200 GPUs. The main users of the Dutch National HPC infrastructure are researchers at Dutch universities and (international) research institutes.
What we are looking for
An academic level of thinking and working, and professional experience which includes:
- Affinity with scientific research in fields such as Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, IT or astronomy
- Knowledge of various parallel or other computer architectures
- Experience with parallel programming (MPI required, preferably also OpenMP)
- Experience with programming (Fortran and/or C/C++)
- UNIX/Linux knowledge
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting, Python, Perl)
- Knowledge of (GP)GPU programming, CUDA, OpenCL and/or PGAS languages is preferred.
Your skills include the ability to focus on the customer, take initiative and be pro-active. You enjoy working in an independent manner and have the ability to work in a team. You have excellent interpersonal and communicative skills and a good spoken and written command of English and/or Dutch.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work with highly skilled, passionate professionals in innovative teams.
- Share our pride of working at the forefront of Open Science, creating the infrastructure that will enable new forms of research and data-driven scientific discovery.
- The opportunity to develop yourself further as an expert on High Performance Computing.
- The opportunity to participate in national and international conferences.
- An international environment.
Terms of employment:
- You will be appointed a full-time position. Our standard work-week is 40-hours. Less hours is negotiable.
- Salary will be a maximum of € 5.666,- gross per month, based on a 40-hour work week.
- 8,3% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- 36 vacation days per year (based on a 40-hour work week).
- An NS Business card.
- Initially the contract will be until July 1st 2021, with the intention to extend.
Send your motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.