Vacature Technical Consultant Data Processing Services
Are you someone who likes to work with state-of-the-art computing as well as with people? Does a job focused on innovative technologies and service development sound exciting to you? Do you really want to make a difference to scientists and their research?
Working/thinking level: academic/vocational
Hours: 38 - 40 hours
What does the position entail?
Our team provides and develops data processing solutions for scientific projects that are faced with a wide range of data-processing challenges. Some of them struggle with petabytes of structured data that need to be transferred, stored and processed within short time-frames, requiring efficient parallel processing workflows tailored for their specific problem. Other projects may have additional requirements, such as data sharing and distribution, privacy, advanced data enrichment, post-processing of their datasets, or other possible aspects that each require their own specific research.
SURFsara is also a partner in national and international projects, such as LOFAR, EGI, ELIXIR, WLCG/LHC, HEALTH-RI, EOSC, EUDAT and PRACE. Within these projects, the most powerful European (super)computers, data processing and storage systems for petabytes of scientific data are being used.
Within our multi-disciplinary team we work closely together to provide state-of-the-art services and solutions, enhancing the efficiency and impact of our scientific users.
- We are driven by enthusiasm for our users and their research.
- We do great stuff in a stimulating working environment that floats on authenticity and team spirit.
- We like working for and with people and believe that our organisation flourishes by IT professionals.
- We work together in dedicated teams, eager to take up challenges, connected to our users.
We are looking for a talented Technical Consultant to strengthen our team. You will provide support to a variety of user projects that make use of our data-processing facilities. Apart from that you will be one of the driving forces on the leading edge of innovation, making sure our users will be best served not only now but also in the future.
What will you do exactly?
- Provide consultancy and support to users of our data-processing services;
- Match requirements of potential users to best-fit solutions;
- Design, maintain and execute service management processes;
- Explore one or more strategic areas at the forefront of innovation;
- Represent your work effectively towards relevant user communities as well as within SURF.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Has great interpersonal skills
- Is a self-proficient team player
- Has a drive to explore new technologies
- Has a customer-oriented mindset
- Has worked in an academic environment
- Has experience with scientific data processing
- Has a background in UNIX/Linux systems
- Has experience with scripting (e.g. *sh, perl) and programming (e.g. Python, Java, C, Fortran)
- Has experience with HPC or HTC systems such as cluster, grid or cloud computing
- Is fluent in English, strong verbal/written communication skills.
You will have an edge if you have experience in one or more of the following:
- You have experience with research in technology and the dissemination of results
- You have experience with distributed and/or federated infrastructures
- You have experience with cloud technology, preferably OpenStack
- You have experience with working in European projects
- You hold an MSc or higher degree in a Computer Science or Engineering field
- You have experience or interest in IT service design, development and support
- You have the ability to communicate your ideas and work in a clear and accessible way.
What we offer
- Work with passionate professionals in smart teams
- Contribute to great science
- Opportunities to travel for national and international meetings
- You will be appointed a full-time position, our contracts are based on 38-hours
- Salary ranking in VSNU-scale (University Regulations) level 10-11, based on your level of skill and experience, a maximum of EUR 4.978,- gross per month, based on a 38-hour work week.
- 8% holiday allowance, a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%
- 29 vacation days per year (based on a 38 hour work week)
- When working a 40-hour work week, due to 2 extra hours of work per week, the number of vacation days is extended by 12 to a total of 41 days
- A compensation for travel expenses that covers commuting up to 45 kilometres one way
- Participation in the ABP pension fund, where approximately two thirds of the premium is paid by the employer
Send your motivation letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about the position and application procedure, please contact the HR department, Kimberley Christ – Senior Recruiter (020-8001300)
- More information about working at SURFsara
- Employees about working at SURF
- More about the SURF-organization
- You must be able to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag/VOG) during your first month of employment.