3-day workshop: Building high-performing campus infrastructures for research
from 24 SEP 2018 until 26 SEP 2018
Do you want to learn more about building an infrastructure in support of researchers and research workflows? On September 24-26, ASTRON will host a 3-day workshop in Dwingeloo (NL) in collaboration with GÉANT, PSNC, ESnet and SURF. In this workshop we will discuss infrastructure topics related to networks and storage to support research workflows.
- 24 Sep 2018
- ASTRON, Dwingeloo
- 50 Euro
- Prior knowledge needed?
- Subject type
- Practical skills
- Meeting type
Research data require different network architectures
Researchers are faced with increasing volumes of data. Further, the infrastructure needed to support the storage, movement, and accessibility of research data needs to be optimized for high-speed data transfers. This is different from the typical general-purpose infrastructure, which usually includes a firewall to support business operations. Research data require different network architectures to ensure data mobility, different security policies that allow high data transfer performance and of course plenty of storage. In addition, understanding the research user requirements and workflows are crucial in designing these infrastructures.
What to expect?
The workshope will include hands-on activities and discussions related to network architecture, troubleshooting, security, storage systems and data transfer nodes. At the end of the 3-day workshop, we hope you are inspired to to deploy the services that are discussed to support data-intensive research.
Please join us if you’re interested in, or work on systems and/or networks at a university campus, research facility, or support a research group.
- Carole Jackson, ASTRON
- Pieter de Boer, SURFnet
- Antoine Delvaux, PSNC/GÉANT
- Richard Hughes-Jones, GÉANT
- Michael Sinatra, ESnet
- Szymon Trocha, PSNC
- Ron Trompert, SURFsara
Check the program for the topics covered each day. We recommend signing up for the full 3-day workshop but it is possible to sign up for a portion of the workshop depending on your availability.
Good to know
- The route to ASTRON
- The main language during the workshop is English.
- The registration fee is 50 euros. This includes lunch, a social dinner event (Monday) and shuttle transportation to the workshop (to/from the hotels and the Hoogeveen station from/to ASTRON). Make sure you book your own hotel.
Monday night social dinner will be at the De Bospub.
If the weather is favorable, many of the hotel accommodations have bikes that can be rented for travel around the area. If you’re interested in this, please make sure to ask your hotel.
- Hotel de Borken is about 1.8 km away from ASTRON. Reservations can be made by sending an e-mail to email@example.com mentioning GFC1320/SurfNet.
- Hotel Wesseling in Dwingeloo is about 4 km from ASTRON. Reservations can be made by sending the hotel an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mentioning the SURFnet meeting to make sure you get the correct price.
Pay attention: Room blocks will close on September 9, so please book early!