Jupyter Notebook: accessible and interactive data analysis for research and education
A Jupyter Notebook is an interactive web application that you can use to create documents, known as notebooks, that contain computer code, formatted text, comparisons and visualisations. The code can be executed in the environment and you can even create streaming applications and dashboards.
Quick insight into data
Jupyter Notebooks make it easier to gain insight into, store, share, and reproduce data analyses. The application is popular within the worlds of data science, big data research, education and in all fields where you need quick insight into data. Within SURFsara, we use Jupyter Notebooks as a teaching aid, in particular for courses about big data and use of Apache Spark.
Using Jupyter Notebook through SURF offers you these advantages:
- SURFsara automatically deploys a notebook environment for all registered users (researchers, students, and teachers).
- Jupyter Notebook is a multi-user environment that allows for easy data sharing. Institutes select who gets access.
- Researchers and teachers have access to our technical helpdesk.
Advantages of Jupyter Notebook:
- Jupyter supports various programming languages.
- It can be expanded with a variety of plug-ins, such as those for data visualisation, high performance computing simulations, dashboards and automatic test scoring.
- Jupyter makes it easier to distribute research results, as notebooks are easy to share with others.
- Jupyter Notebooks can also be used as a user interface for big data frameworks, databases and computer clusters. For example, SURFsara offers Apache Spark users (one of the most popular frameworks for processing big data) the option to gain access via Jupyter Notebooks.
- Jupyter Notebook is open source.
- The service can be accessed from any browser. You don't need to install any other software so it ties in well with the bring-your-own-device approach.
Further information and contact
Want to know more? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an optional SURF service.