eduVPN: facilitate secure internet access everywhere
eduVPN makes untrusted networks secure, by establishing an encrypted connection. This way, students, lecturers and researchers can use the Internet securely everywhere, and you can grant access to your institution's protected systems securely, even if users are using the Internet connection on a train, a square, or at home.
Encrypted network traffic
Of course, the network of your institution is connected to eduroam, a secure environment which you have control over as an institution. However, students, lecturers and researchers are increasingly working from home, temporary addresses, or on the train. Many public networks - and some home networks too - are not safe enough. eduVPN solves this problem by using a virtual private network (VPN) in which network traffic is encrypted. This prevents prying eyes nearby from being able to view the traffic.
eduVPN uses OpenVPN. This open-source software has been comprehensively checked and is considered highly secure. Additionally, eduVPN has implemented strict privacy and security measures. You can integrate eduVPN into your institution's network, allowing services and systems within the institution's network which are not normally accessible from elsewhere to be made available online securely.
Benefits of eduVPN
- Users do not even need to configure anything themselves. They simply install the eduVPN software before logging in with their existing account at your institution (through SURFconext).
- As an institution, you can choose whether to grant only institute access (access to protected systems within the institution), or whether to also offer secure Internet (protecting all of your users' Internet traffic).
- Secure Internet users can establish VPN connections to all countries participating in eduVPN. There are only a few participating countries at the moment, but the list is continuing to grow.
- Both logging in to web interfaces and connecting to the VPN server can be protected with two-step authentication using time-based one-time passwords (TOTP), or a Yubikey.
- SURF offers second and third line support for both users and institutions.
You can find the rates for this service in the SURF Services and Rates brochure (PDF).
If you want to know more about eduVPN, please visit the end user website www.eduvpn.nl/en or contact SURF Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.