Theme: Innovation with technology
Technology is evolving very quickly. As a cooperative, SURF can only take full advantage of the opportunities and possibilities that new technologies offer.
And we can only anticipate events in order to continue its world-class services, facilities and expertise if it has up-to-date knowledge of technologies, methods and applications in support of research and education. Investing in this knowledge, experimenting with new technologies in the context of education and research and scaling up new value-added technologies are therefore necessary. The cooperative does this in close collaboration with the member research groups.
Ambitions for Innovation with technology
We strengthen the innovative power of both the members and the SURF organisation within the cooperative through smart collaboration and knowledge sharing. As a knowledge institution, SURF does not have an independent research task. Instead, it uses the knowledge that is developed in IT and domain research. SURF engages in targeted collaborations with research groups and other organisational sections of members (such as libraries) in order to translate this knowledge into the requirements for the facilities and support of tomorrow and beyond. It is essential that the knowledge of innovators is made available to all members. As a cooperative, we develop insight into the impact and potential added value by experimenting with new technologies, such as augmented reality/virtual reality, serious gaming, artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things and edge computing, privacy-enhanced technologies and future computing. Together with our members, we develop validated concepts and pilots, and we collaborate on technological innovation (IT and computer science research) and applications in research and education.
Activities for 2021-2022
In order to realise these ambitions, we will continue to provide existing services and continue a number of projects already underway. In addition, we also need to change course and start up new projects.
Main changes in direction
- Close coordination on the innovation agenda with the members to develop a joint strategic SURF innovation agenda.
- Strengthening of the collaboration with researchers and IT departments of the members in terms of specific innovation that affects SURF's (future) services.
- Investigation of the possibilities of the Internet of Things, edge computing, augmented reality/virtual reality, artificial intelligence and future computing.
- Exploration of the digitalisation possibilities of laboratory facilities, for example through modelling or VR.
- Strengthening of the collaboration with relevant departments and research communities to better align the agendas.
We will implement the changes in direction for 2021-2022 in the following new projects: